Friday, January 11, 2008

The Cloud Test

I leave it to the reader to determine how much value there is to it, but I've been playing with TagCrowd.com the last few days.

What is it? It takes a block of text that you copy and paste OR loads a Web page and groups all the most frequently-used words into a tag cloud.

The words used most often are largest. The ones used least are smallest (or not displayed at all).

So what's the point? For our context, it might help you gauge how effectively you're on target. In other words, if I have a blog about manually churning butter, then you'd expect "cream," "milk," and "curd" to be really large, right? If those words turn out to be playing second fiddle to words like "Bigfoot," "Starsky" and "Hutch," maybe I'm doing something wrong.

As an example, I ran Ramiro Burr's Latin Notes Now through the site:



Seems relevant and appropriate.

Likewise, The Dog Blog:



I love how "Dog" just stands right out there.

Put your own blog through the Cloud Test, and see what you think.

It's not a pass/fail situation, of course, just food for thought.

• tagcrowd.com

No comments: